설문조사
PostgreSQL/PPAS 관련 듣고 싶은 교육은

총 게시물 162건, 최근 0 건

UDF Issue 1

글쓴이 : 모델광 날짜 : 2022-09-25 (일) 18:42 조회 : 944

In a recent project I worked on, one of the Data Architecture principles was the following:

Do not create a function, a procedure, a package and a trigger in the database.

When the manager in the data architecture team announced this principle, most application designers were reluctant to sticking to this principle, saying that they can save a lot of development resouces (mainly human resources) by implementing some business logic in the database. Even a few DBAs and data modellers objected to the principle.

I personally belive that a database server should not be used as a means to implement business logic. When you create a function in the database, you end up using more database resources and fewer application server resources in order to achieve the data retrieval results you are looking for. In the long run you can actually shoot yourself at the foot when you implement an application logic in the database server. But you are not likely to be in the position of building the rigorous data architecture principle. Your manager might force you to create functions. And many database manuals like Oracle, PostgreSQL and SQL Server are encourging you to utilize functions.

When you are allowed to create a function and use the function in your query, you have to be careful of query performance. You have to find a way to reduce the number of function calls.

In this note I will give you some insight into what PostgreSQL does regarding functions and how you may be able to pin-point excess work using a few simple mechanisms.

I will start with a few scripts to demonstrate my point about function performance. The following test case is based on two tables using the system view pg_stats:

CREATE TABLE T1 AS

SELECT SCHEMANAME, TABLENAME, ATTNAME,MOST_COMMON_FREQS

FROM PG_STATS;

CREATE TABLE T2 AS 

SELECT * FROM T1, GENERATE_SERIES(1,100) a(i);

Checking schemaname and row counts on those new tables I got the following:

analdb=# SELECT SCHEMANAME, COUNT(*) FROM T1 GROUP BY ROLLUP (SCHEMANAME) ORDER BY SCHEMANAME;
     schemaname     | count 
--------------------+-------
 information_schema |    21
 pg_catalog           |   385

analdb=# SELECT SCHEMANAME, COUNT(*) FROM T2 GROUP BY ROLLUP (SCHEMANAME) ORDER BY SCHEMANAME;
     schemaname     | count 
--------------------+-------
 information_schema |  2100
 pg_catalog          | 38500

And Here is the query that I am going to use to demonstrate the peformance issue of functions, followed by their execution plans

SET MAX_PARALLEL_WORKERS_PER_GATHER TO 0;

SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM T1 JOIN T2
    ON T1.SCHEMANAME = T2.SCHEMANAME
   AND T1.TABLENAME > T2.TABLENAME
;
Aggregate (actual time=1266.545..1266.547 rows=1 loops=1)
  Output: count(*)
  Buffers: shared hit=1395
  ->  Hash Join (actual time=0.517..997.889 rows=7086000 loops=1)
        Hash Cond: (t2.schemaname = t1.schemaname)
        Join Filter: (t1.tablename > t2.tablename)
        Rows Removed by Join Filter: 7780600
        ->  Seq Scan on public.t2 (actual time=0.005..3.649 rows=40600 loops=1)
              Output: t2.schemaname, t2.tablename, t2.attname, t2.most_common_freqs, t2.i
              Buffers: shared hit=1381
        ->  Hash (actual time=0.092..0.093 rows=406 loops=1)
              Output: t1.schemaname, t1.tablename
              Buckets: 1024  Batches: 1  Memory Usage: 72kB
              Buffers: shared hit=14
              ->  Seq Scan on public.t1 (actual time=0.005..0.047 rows=406 loops=1)
Planning Time: 0.062 ms
Execution Time: 1266.568 ms

Here is how to read the above execution plan:
1) The Aggregate node calls the Hash Join node.
2) The Hash Join node call the Hash node.
3) The Hash node calls the Seq Scan on public.t1 node.
4) The Seq Scan on public.t1 node fetches the values of t1.schemaname and t1.tablename and sends them to the Hash node.
5) The Hash node arranges the values of t1.schemaname and t1.tablename into a hash table. A hash table stores data as hash key and value pairs. A hash function distributes hash keys randomly and evenly across 1024 buckets. A hash function is applied to the join attribute (t1.schemaname). In this case, the allocated memory was enough: the hash table took up about 72kB, which allows the join to execute in one pass (Batches).
5) After the hash table is built, the Hash Join node calls the Seq Scan on public.t2.
6) The Seq Scan node retrieves the values of t2.schemaname, t2.tablename, t2.attname, t2.most_common_freqs, t2.i and sends them to the Hash Join node.
7) For each fetched row from the Seq Scan, the hash table is probed for the matching rows, and a hash value is calculated for the join attribute (t2.schemaname). The Hash Join node then filters out 7780600 rows by appling the condition t1.tablename > t2.tablename. 
9) The Aggregate node receives the resulting set from the Hash Join node and aggregates the resulting set.

Comparing the actual times, the time recorded at the Hash Join operation was around 996 mili seconds, of which only a tiny amount was in the feeding Seq Scan(3.887 ms). 

Now let's suppose that you have to use a function for some reason in the filiter predicate.

SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM T1 JOIN T2
   AND LOWER(T1.TABLENAME) > LOWER(T2.TABLENAME);

Aggregate (actual time=3437.051..3437.053 rows=1 loops=1)
  ->  Hash Join (actual time=1.433..3161.741 rows=7086000 loops=1)
        Join Filter: (lower((t1.tablename)::text) > lower((t2.tablename)::text))
        ->  Seq Scan on public.t2 (actual time=0.005..4.850 rows=40600 loops=1)
        ->  Hash (actual time=0.094..0.095 rows=406 loops=1)
              ->  Seq Scan on public.t1 (actual time=0.004..0.047 rows=406 loops=1)
Planning Time: 0.063 ms
Execution Time: 3437.076

There are three things to note from the plan.

The first is that the built-in function LOWER() consumes a lot of resources. Even though the number of block IO is identical to that of the previous query, the elapsed time rose from 1266 to 3437 ms.

The second is that the hash join operated on only equality. You can confirm this by looking at Hash Cond: (t2.schemaname = t1.schemaname) in the plan. The clause lower((t1.tablename)::text) > lower((t2.tablename)::text) is in the Join Filter predicate.

The third point to note is that  the columns SCHEMANAME and TABLENAME of the table t1 are passed up to the Hash Join, which tell us that the hash join operation has to run the LOWER function. The big questioin is - how many times does the database engine execute the LOWER() function. My first guess is that since the table t1 has 406 rows and the table t2 has 40600 rows the Lower() function has to be run 41006 (406 + 40600) times at most. In the subsequent sections I will show you how to measure the number of function calls in PostgreSQL.

How to count the number of function calls

If we assume that the lower() built-in function behaves in the same way as a PL/PgSQL function we can at least count the number of calls that take place by writing a PL/PgSQL function like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION F_LOWER(P1 VARCHAR)
RETURNS VARCHAR
LANGUAGE PLPGSQL IMMUTABLE
AS $$
DECLARE 
  V1 VARCHAR;
BEGIN
  SELECT LOWER(P1) INTO V1;
  RETURN V1;
END;
$$

SET track_functions TO 'all';

You replace the lower() function with the f_lower() fuction and run the query.

SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM T1 JOIN T2
   AND F_LOWER(T1.TABLENAME::VARCHAR) > F_LOWER(T2.TABLENAME::VARCHAR);

Here is the execution plan when I used the F_LOWER() function:

Aggregate (actual time=45788.190..45788.191 rows=1 loops=1)
  Buffers: shared hit=1409
  ->  Hash Join (actual time=21.168..45228.172 rows=7086000 loops=1)
        Join Filter: ((f_lower((t1.tablename)::character varying))::text > (f_lower((t2.tablename)::character varying))::text)
        Buffers: shared hit=1409
        ->  Seq Scan on public.t2 (actual time=0.005..17.253 rows=40600 loops=1)
        ->  Hash (actual time=0.110..0.110 rows=406 loops=1)
              ->  Seq Scan on public.t1 (actual time=0.007..0.063 rows=406 loops=1)
Planning:
  Buffers: shared hit=107
Planning Time: 0.183 ms
Execution Time: 45789.127 ms

The timings are not really important. Most of the increased time (from 3437 to 45789 ms) is probably building and tearing down the PL/PgSQL stack. Apart from the change of a function name, the plan is the same.
And then I checked the number of function calls.

SELECT * FROM PG_STAT_USER_FUNCTIONS;

analdb=# SELECT * FROM PG_STAT_USER_FUNCTIONS;
 funcid | schemaname | funcname |  calls   | total_time | self_time  
--------+------------+----------+----------+------------+------------
  24646 | public         | f_lower   | 29733200 | 45360.226 | 45360.226

When I ran the SQL statement with the F_LOWER() function, the function was called over 29 million times. PostgreSQL did nothing to mitigate the number of times the function was called. So we can conclude that when we used the built-in function LOWER() in the query, the LOWER() function was called over 29 million times. It is a shame that PostgreSQL does not optimize the query and reduce the number of function calls to 41006 (406 + 40600).

Limiting the function call damage

So assuming that we can not remove the LOWER() function, how can we optimize this query?

SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM T1 JOIN T2
   AND LOWER(T1.TABLENAME) > LOWER(T2.TABLENAME);

In the previous sections, we noted that the elapsed time without the LOWER() function was 1266.568 ms and the elapsed time with the function was 3437.076 ms. In the above query the function was executed over 29 million times. So the crutial thing in optimizing the query is that we have to find a way to reduce the number of function calls.

I made some tweaks to the SQL statement, which forced to materialize the LOWER() function in the CTE. The cost of physically creating the two large CTEs might  well be much less than the cost of millions of fuction calls.

WITH W1 AS MATERIALIZED (
SELECT T1.SCHEMANAME, LOWER(T1.TABLENAME) AS TABLENAME, T1.ATTNAME,T1.MOST_COMMON_FREQS FROM T1)
, W2 AS MATERIALIZED (
SELECT T2.SCHEMANAME, LOWER(T2.TABLENAME) AS TABLENAME, T2.ATTNAME,T2.MOST_COMMON_FREQS FROM T2)
SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM W1 JOIN W2
    ON W1.SCHEMANAME = W2.SCHEMANAME
    AND W1.TABLENAME > W2.TABLENAME;

Here is the EXPLAIN command output of the above query.

Aggregate (actual time=1520.888..1520.890 rows=1 loops=1)

Buffers: shared hit=1395, temp written=964

CTE w1

->  Seq Scan on public.t1 (actual time=0.003..0.087 rows=406 loops=1)

Output: t1.schemaname, lower((t1.tablename)::text), t1.attname, t1.most_common_freqs

CTE w2

->  Seq Scan on public.t2 (actual time=0.008..11.459 rows=40600 loops=1)

Output: t2.schemaname, lower((t2.tablename)::text), t2.attname, t2.most_common_freqs

->  Hash Join (actual time=0.729..1261.361 rows=7086000 loops=1)

Hash Cond: (w2.schemaname = w1.schemaname)

Join Filter: (w1.tablename > w2.tablename)

Buffers: shared hit=1395, temp written=964

->  CTE Scan on w2 (actual time=0.010..41.763 rows=40600 loops=1)

Output: w2.schemaname, w2.tablename, w2.attname, w2.most_common_freqs

Buffers: shared hit=1381, temp written=964

->  Hash (actual time=0.230..0.231 rows=406 loops=1)

Output: w1.schemaname, w1.tablename

Buckets: 1024  Batches: 1  Memory Usage: 51kB

->  CTE Scan on w1 (actual time=0.004..0.185 rows=406 loops=1)

Output: w1.schemaname, w1.tablename

Planning Time: 0.074 ms

Execution Time: 1523.029 ms

AS you can see from the execution plan PostgreSQL has called the LOWER() function in the CTE, which means that the fuction was called 406 times in the CTE w1 and 40600 times in the CTE w2. Even though disk I/O (temp written=964) took place, the elapsed time decreased from 3437 to 1523 ms.

Conclusion

​I don't think that anything I have done or described in this article could be called rocket science; but it has shown you how much insight you can gain into what PostgreSQL is doing and how you may be albe to pinpoint excess work using the track_functions parameter and PG_STAT_USER_FUNCTIONS view. In the end you will be able to understand why some DBAs prohibit developers from creating functions and procedures in the database server.

Footnote

When you create a function or a procedure, you are likely to include tables in the function. And whenever the function is called, some rows in the table referenced by the function have to be loaded into the shared buffer cache, which increases the possibility of incurring LWLock:buffer content lock as well.

Added on October 31, 2022

Today I ran into a video where two PostgreSQL guys talked about implementing business logic on the database. You will be able to get other DBAs' view on functions and procedures.

Here is the URL of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnlrvzKi4Q&list=PLH8y1BNPAKjJM3iuEg9L_WxNVkpP30rsO&index=2

postgresdba.com